Poor quality tissues posing health risks are being provided in some small restaurants. The issue was identified in various restaurants in Shanghai but likely exists in many other cities.
Restaurant patrons have complained about tissue problems. Edward Dai, a postgraduate student in his 20s, said he suffered a serious skin allergy around his mouth two days after using low-quality tissues at a restaurant. “I wiped my mouth with the tissue provided by the restaurant, and doctors said the tissue likely caused the allergy,” he said.
The Shanghai Bureau of Quality and Technical Supervision said such tissues are made of low-quality paper. Usually tissue paper is made from wood pulp, but substandard tissue paper is often made from garbage like waste paper and cloth shreds, without sterilization. These tissues usually break apart easily in water, the bureau said.
To make tissues look whiter and feel soft, harmful chemical substances such as caustic soda or dyes are added during production. These chemicals can cause skin allergies and, if used frequently, raise the risk of getting cancer, officials said.
Bureau officials reminded people not to use tissues if they fall apart easily. They also recommended against using colored tissues as harmful dyes may have been added.
Quality inspection officials said they will strengthen inspections this year and launch a crackdown on those producing low-quality tissues.
The products are usually sold to small restaurants so it would be a good idea to bring your own tissues to “cheaper” restaurants. Although, harmful tissues may be the last thing you need to worry about, when you visit a cheap Chinese restaurant…
via Shanghai Daily.